Tuesday 3 September 2013

City of Ashes Review



City of Ashes
So city of ashes is the second instalment of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones is reviewed here for you and as you can see from it- I thought it was a bit of alright at most. I had heard so much hype over the series though and in desperation to buy into it I continued through the series which seems to have been the right decision? Maybe? I enjoyed it but I still feel like this series may be a little overhyped based on these two books that I've read so far... 
The book basically follows Clary continuing though the Shadow Hunter way of life but not everything goes according to plan well it would be a bit dull if it did right? People change, people get hurt and Clary discoveres a thing or two about herself though the course of the book. 

My favourite character? Still Simon of course! I just love his cuteness and he develops so much in every sense from city of bones but he keeps his sweet and kind nature which I love about his development as a character. His story line in this book though was too airy fairy for me though. As horrible as it sounds I would rather him have died than continue though such a strange circumstances that he does. It makes the book a bit wishy washy for me and it gives the impression that she's scared to kill the characters off in a way that makes me think the book was aimed at a younger audience than myself. 

I love Jace too of course, I think it's impossible not to! He is the full package 1. Funny 2. Caring in an obnoxious way with a tough exterior and of course 3. Played by Jamie Campbell Bower in the movie (more on this soon!) as for him and Clary I haven't decided what I think of them together yet. The story makes you confused for Clary in the same way she feels confused for liking him. Is there a Shadow Hunter's Jeremy Kyle? He'd clear up this mess. They could have a two part special 1. You Made me think my son was dead then raised him thinking he was someone else? (they could shorten the title) and part 2. Is she my real sister? I love her! The host could be the Fairie Queen...

Things I like about the book? I love how Clare has given Jace and Simon such brilliant senses of humor but for such different reasons! Jace has that sarcastic sense of humor that makes him in dark and strong at first glance but also charmingly obnoxious in another. In both cases it's very funny and lifts the mood of the book. Simon on the other hand has a nerdy sense of humor that I love equally to Jace's. I also love the chapter names they are beautifully poetic.  
I do have a couple of faults to pick with the book and the series so far though *groans.* first and formost the the outstanding simalarities with characters from Harry Potter. The inquisitor was Umberige in my head reading and I didn't like that simalarity at all. People have mentioned the simalarities between this series and Harry Potter and though I disagree with that completely, I sometimes it seems that Clare has taken inspiration from the best fantasy series of all time making me feel like she lacks origionality. Then theres the sheer number of similes and metaphors. There are paragraphs constructed entirely of them in parts and your just sat their thinking WE GET IT IT'S A METAL BOAT! which I'm not keen on but I still like to follow the story and stuff so I try not to let it bother me! Even though it really does!

Favourite quotes:
1. Adapted from a coming out to your parents leaflet “Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.”  

2. “I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
  


3. “Well I'm not kissing the mundane," said Jace. "I'd rather stay down here and rot."
"Forever?" said Simon. "Forever is an awfully long time."
Jace raised his eyebrows, "I knew it," he said, "you want to kiss me, don't you?"
Simon threw his hands up in exasperation. "Of course not but if-"
"I guess it's true what they say," observed Jace. "There are no straight men in the trenches."
"That's atheists jackass," said Simon furiously. "There are no atheists in the trenches.”


Rating: I give the book a 3.5 stars rating again same as City of Bones so we'll see if City of Glass is any better. I'm hoping it will be because the Goodreads average rating is higher for the third instalment than this one but with that said the average score for this book on Goodreads is 4.27 so I don't know if it's just me who isn't falling to the ground in admiration for the series? I won't give up though I promise, City of Glass here I come...

What did you think of the book? Let me know in the comments or on good reads if you have any book recommendations or what you thought of the Mortal Instruments series if you have read them, I love to hear what you think of books which is why I spend way too much time on Good reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment