Sunday 8 September 2013

City of Glass Review


 

I cannot describe how much better this book was compared to the previous two! The improvement between book two and book three (this one!) is immense. Literally everything is better the story line has a quicker pace the writing style is soooo much better and some characters really grow into themselves in this book...

So basically from the last book it's clear that Valentine is a serious threat to the shadow hunters and so they go to Alicante in Idris  (the city of glass) to talk with the clave but there are a few people who come along for the ride by accident and end up in trouble talking about you Simon. The story basically follows Clary coming to terms with her powers and her paternal family and of course the love she has for Jace. As I mentioned loads happens in this book especially to say that the book is only, what a centimetre thicker that the previous two? I like that though. I found this book a lot easier to read and there were parts of the story where I couldn't put it down it was so gripping! 

Favourite Character: Alec and Simon (I do love my Simon!) The characters really grow up in this book especially Alec and Isabelle who really came to accept the truth about who they are and what they want especially with Alec and his feelings for Magnus HALLELUJAH!!!! Isabelle has more substance in this book too but unfortunately still kind of just I'm not sure if this is the best way to describe it but she's still only a background character. Everyone has told the story from their perspective at least once in the last few books. Clary has, Jace has, Alec has, Simon has, Luke has but not Isabelle and this makes me sad. I hope she has more in City of Fallen Angels because I really want to like her more than I do and I do like her more than I did but there isn't enough of her in the book to decide for me. 

Things I like about the Book? Clare also uses about 1/3 of the similes and metaphors used in the last two books. No simile paragraphs in sight in this book! Although I still see a simile on the page and kind of hold my breath in terror but nothing to fear in terms of the overuse of metaphors in here I promise!

Favourite Quotes: Spoilers!

1.“I am a man" he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown.”  

2. “Malachi scowled. "I don't remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane."
"They didn't," Magnus said. "Your wards are down."
"Really?" the Consul's voice dripped sarcasm. "I hadn't noticed."
Magnus looked concerned. "That's terrible. Someone should have told you." He glanced at Luke. "Tell him the wards are down.” 

3. “Did you ever think that in a past life Alec was an old woman with ninety cats who was always yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off her lawn? Because I do,”  
 
Rating: I give the book 4 stars! The verdict in this book is that if you stopped reading the series at City of Bone or Ashes (I don't blame you) but this book is a real improvement plough through if only for this book and nothing else! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment